How to unbind MacBook mouse buttons from Fn-F10 and Fn-F11

I've just installed Debian jessie (testing) on a MacBook Pro and it's
doing my head in :-(  I wonder if anyone has any ideas that might help
me....

I'm using XFCE4 as my window manager, if that makes any difference.

I really want to still have my F10 and F11 function keys work as just
that; I'm happy to lose the "apple-cmd" keys to the left and right
mouse buttons (which are also in a much more convenient location).

I found that the page
https://wiki.debian.org/MacBook#Mouse_2nd_and_3rd_buttons is fine
(though I had to change the keycodes), as long as I then enabled it
using xkbset -m.

But I can't find any way to turn off the F10 and F11 mouse button
emulation :-(

I found that /proc/sys/dev/mac_hid/mouse_button2_keycode was 97,
mouse_button3_keycode was 100 (or perhaps it was the other way
around), and mouse_button_emulation was 0, yet it was still
emulating.  I set mouse_button2_keycode to 133 (left apple) and
mouse_button3_keycode to 134, and echo'd 1 to mouse_button_emulation,
but that made no difference to the function key behaviour.

So something somewhere else is capturing these button presses, but I
don't know where.

Does anyone have any clue?

Many thanks,

   Julian