Re: Bug against distribution?

Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> I was missing a package when I installed Debian from a LiveDVD. I'm
> trying to figure out what package to log a bug against.

This sounds like a simple misunderstanding.  Debian is a framework.
It is the Universial Operating System.  Installing Debian sets up some
defaults.  Installing debian does not install every available package.
That would be unmanageable because there are 40,000 plus packages in
debian.  Installing Debian in the smallest form simply gives you the a
small system.  Installing Debian with a graphical desktop installs a
much more heavy system with many things installed.  Mostly a system
with the typical things that a user would want.  But it is impossible
to install every package available.  Instead you are expected to
install any particular thing that you want installed afterward.

For example I am an emacs user.  I will install emacs.

  apt-get install emacs

Other people prefer vim.  They wouldn't care about emacs.  But they
will want vim installed.

  apt-get install vim

And many want the graphical version and so will choose the gtk
version.

  apt-get install vim-gtk

To search for packages use:

  apt-cache search foo

This should get you going.  Simply install what you want.

> The bug appears to be against the distribution or Live DVD, but I'm
> not finding any suitable candidates:
>
> $ dpkg --search core | cut -d ":" -f1 | sort | uniq
> app-install-data

Uhm...  I like that you are barging ahead with the command line.  You
are my newest BFF!  But it appears you are looking for any installed
package that contains a file that contains "core" anywhere in the file
name.  That will of course yield many matches.  But probably it won't
get you any closer to an answer to your problem.  Since if a package
were installed then it wouldn't be missing.

> I've searched for 'core', 'distribution, 'live', and a couple of others.
>
> Would anyone know what to file a missing package against?

A missing package?  Please say more.  There are 40,000+ packages in
Debian.  Can we narrow things down a bit?  Often new projects appear
and are not yet packaged.

If software you would like to have isn't packaged for Debian then you
can file a RFP request for packaging bug.  But if you care about it
then often it is best to try to package it up yourself.  The mentors
mailing list will help with this process.

Otherwise if you are looking for a package that is in the Debian
repository then don't use dpkg which searches installed packages.  Use
apt-cache which searches the index files.  (It gets its name from the
fact that it searches the downloaded cached Packages files.)

Bob

$ apt-cache stats
Total package names: 54288 (1086 k)
Total package structures: 54288 (3040 k)
  Normal packages: 41530
  Pure virtual packages: 599
  Single virtual packages: 5207
  Mixed virtual packages: 599
  Missing: 6353
Total distinct versions: 45108 (3248 k)
Total distinct descriptions: 85048 (2041 k)
Total dependencies: 282744 (7917 k)
Total ver/file relations: 84789 (2035 k)
Total Desc/File relations: 85048 (2041 k)
Total Provides mappings: 8742 (175 k)
Total globbed strings: 144 (1621 )
Total dependency version space: 1102 k
Total slack space: 22.8 k