Re: Problem creating iso for a USB stick

Hi,

first question because i am lacking other valid ideas:

Does your machine boot the original netinst ISO from USB stick ?

Second question:

How large is your result image ? Can you upload it to a place
from where i could get it for inspection ?

For the details:

> /root/debian/test.iso1 *  1 251 257008  17 Hidd HPFS/NTFS

> I have no idea why it's HPFS/NTFS

That's just the default type as proposed by H. Peter Anvin,
the author of SYSLINUX/ISOLINUX.
debian-7.3.0-i386-netinst.iso has the same partition type.

> [xorriso with arguments from Debian 7.3 amd64]
> It gave me an error related to -isohybrid-gpt-basdat

You'd need xorriso-1.2.4 for -isohybrid-gpt-basdat.
But you do not need that option for booting via BIOS.
Only if you boot via EFI and have included a properly
equipped FAT filesystem image as file /boot/grub/efi.img.

> Also, as you can see, they use a manually compiled xorriso, I would
> assume: /home/93sam/xorriso

Telling from the output of
  xorriso -indev debian-7.3.0-i386-netinst.iso -pvd_info
debian-cd used xorriso-1.2.6 for production of its 7.3 ISOs.
Probably compiled from the GNU xorriso tarball, not from
Debian library packages:
  http://www.gnu.org/software/xorriso/xorriso-1.2.6.tar.gz

I would nevertheless prefer if you make experiments with
the current release:
  http://www.gnu.org/software/xorriso/xorriso-1.3.4.tar.gz

To avoid conflicts with the installed Debian packages, you
may omit "make install" and use xorriso-1.3.4 as

  /...some.path.../xorriso-1.3.4/xorriso/xorriso -as mkisofs ...

> > Does the USB stick make any difference when plugged in
> > or is it just ignored ?

> No it doesn't make any difference. With or without it, the behavior
> is the same (see above).

So the system does not have any other bootable disk attached,
which would step in when the USB stick is missing ?

Thus my first question above.

> 1. I've done it in MacOSX with the method described
> here:http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-mac-osx

Step 3 looks suspicious. Afterwards the ISO might not be an
ISO any more.

> 2. I've done it in Linux (Debian, the same machine I used to create
> it) by dd'ing the contents of the iso to the USB stick.

Onto e.g. /dev/sdb would be right, onto e.g. /dev/sdb1 would
be wrong.

> 3. Again, in Linux (same machine) by copying the iso directly to
> /dev/sdm and then doing sync.

"/dev/sdm" ... Lots of disk devices attached ?

What was the difference between "dd'ing the contents of the iso"
and "copying the iso directly" ?
Just the use of command "dd" versus command "cp" ?
Both should have the same effect with a block device as target.
Both should be ok.

The fdisk output looks plausible.
Option -lu rather than -l would show more exact block addresses
rather than cylinder addresses. But the type "Hidden NTFS" alone
indicates that the partition table of the image found its right
place on the USB stick.

> > Did you submit it as emulated hard disk (rather than as CD-ROM) ?
> Umm ... don't know for sure, when you create a new virtual machine,
> it asks for a image.

These are the hardships of GUI operation. With a qemu command
line one could tell whether you used -hda or -cdrom to submit
the image file.

> Would it be possible for you to make a deb for Wheezy with the latest
> version of xorriso or do I have to compile it by hand?

I am not a Debian regular. You would need three new library
packages and one application package.
The GNU xorriso tarball is intended to ease this plight:

  tar xzf xorriso-1.3.4.tar.gz
  cd xorriso-1.3.4 && ./configure && make

If all went well, then

  ./xorriso/xorriso -version

should tell some lines about xorriso and its supporing libraries.
As said above, you may use this program without "make install".

Alternatively, Debian "testing" currently provides xorriso-1.3.2
and the necessary library packages.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas