Re: Debian logging - confused

2014/1/15 Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@libertytrek.org>
Hi all,

I understand and agree with the argument for having separate logs for different services, as it makes troubleshooting individual servcies much easier - in most cases.

However, I also would like to have *one* log that *everything* goes to, because in many cases it makes it much easier to see at a glance if there is a problem - at least on systems that aren't extraordinarily busy.

grep N patterns in a single (huge) log file or grep pattern in N log files, is that your *doubt*?
keep in mind that services log *problems* in various ways so you will end up searching patterns anyway.