Re: Iceweasel weird behavior

On 13/01/14 20:00, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Mi, 08 ian 14, 15:15:46, Alex S. wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Few days ago, I started having weird problems with my browser
>> (freezing on pages, freezing on downloads, freezing on opening
>> preferences even). After some tinkering that I did, I now have one main
>> question.
>>
>> What is the difference between me manually typing 'iceweasel' to
>> terminal and me starting Iceweasel through panel/shortcut/system menu

iceweasel.desktop is not referenced with the CLI method.

>> (and with "run in terminal" flagged, it doesn't make any
>> difference). Because in the first case, the problems are non-existent.
>> In the second, they are there.
>
> I'm seeing something similar, except that Iceweasel doesn't start at all
> from the menu (LXDE here).
>
> Kind regards,
> Andrei

Iceweasel 26?

Quick thoughts, the following CLI commands 'should' all use the settings
in the default profile from ~/.mozilla/firefox/profiles.ini and have
identical results:-
;iceweasel
;firefox
;/usr/bin/iceweasel
;/usr/bin/firefox
;/usr/lib/iceweasel

If that's consistently the case then the problem is not in special
window handling settings, a corrupted profile, or a problematic
extension/plugin. (IG) That leaves the .desktop settings as the most
likely cause (not used by the CLI methods).
Take a look at the main settings for sanity:-
$ grep -i 'exec\|term\|args\|noti'
~/.local/share/applications/iceweasel.desktop

This is a full one:-
[Desktop Entry]
Categories=Network;WebBrowser;
Comment=Browse the World Wide Web
Encoding=UTF-8
Exec=iceweasel %u
GenericName=Web Browser
Icon=iceweasel
MimeType=text/html;text/xml;application/xhtml+xml;application/xml;application/vnd.mozilla.xul+xml;applica
tion/rss+xml;application/rdf+xml;image/gif;image/jpeg;image/png;x-scheme-handler/http;x-scheme-handler/ht
tps;
Name=Iceweasel
NoDisplay=false
Path[$e]=
StartupNotify=true
StartupWMClass=Iceweasel
Terminal=0
TerminalOptions=
Type=Application
X-GNOME-FullName=Iceweasel Web Browser
X-KDE-SubstituteUID=false
X-KDE-Username=
X-MultipleArgs=false

You should have earlier working ones also:-
/usr/share/app-install/desktop/iceweasel.desktop
/usr/share/applications/iceweasel.desktop

Check for variation:-
$ grep -i 'exec\|term\|args\|noti' `mlocate iceweasel.desktop`

Kind regards