Re: Jwm desktop background image

On 2014-01-07, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I found out that setting up a wallpaper does work like this:
>
> [...]
>  <StartupCommand>
>   Esetroot -m /usr/share/wallpapers/Grass/contents/images/1280x1024.jpg
>  </StartupCommand>
> [...]
>
> The Debian example file and explanations in the Internet claim that this
> should work too:
>
> [...]
>    <Desktops width="4" height="1">
> [...]
>       <Background type="image">/usr/share/wallpapers/Grass/contents/images/1280x1024.jpg</Background>
> [...]
>    </Desktops>
> [...]
>
> This doesn't work on my machine.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

For a GUI method (Nitrogen) of changing wallpapers quickly.

Copy the /etc/jwm/system.jwmrc and /etc/jwm/debian-menu
to the root of your user directory, rename the system.jwmrc that resides
in your user directory to .jwmrc, change owner of said file
to your user, and group, then open the ~/.jwmrc file with a text editor
and edit/replace section as in below example, save changes to file.
Install Nitrogen:
apt-get install nitrogen
Start nitrogen from JWM menu or user term, select the wallpaper of
your choice, apply,  then restart JWM from menu. For examples see below:

Terminal Commands:
root@aptosid-ms-7312:/home/kruppt# cp /etc/jwm/system.jwmrc /home/kruppt
root@aptosid-ms-7312:/home/kruppt# cp /etc/jwm/debian-menu /home/kruppt
root@aptosid-ms-7312:/home/kruppt# mv /home/kruppt/system.jwmrc /home/kruppt/.jwmrc
root@aptosid-ms-7312:/home/kruppt# chown -v kruppt:kruppt /home/kruppt/.jwmrc
kruppt@aptosid-ms-7312:~$ scite /home/kirkus/.jwmrc

Section of /home/your-user/.jwmrc that needs to be edited as so:

   <Desktops width="4" height="1">
      <!-- Default background. Note that a Background tag can be
           contained within a Desktop tag to give a specific background
           for that desktop.
       -->
      <Background type="command">nitrogen --restore</Background>
   </Desktops>