Re: Iceweasel weird behavior

On Wed, Jan 08, 2014 at 03:15:46PM +0200, Alex S. wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Few days ago, I started having weird problems with my browser
> (freezing on pages, freezing on downloads, freezing on opening
> preferences even). After some tinkering that I did, I now have one main
> question.
>
> What is the difference between me manually typing 'iceweasel' to
> terminal and me starting Iceweasel through panel/shortcut/system menu
> (and with "run in terminal" flagged, it doesn't make any
> difference). Because in the first case, the problems are non-existent.
> In the second, they are there.

In principle, there shouldn't be any difference, right? Unless you do use
specific options when running it from the terminal, or you changed the
default command that is run when you launch it from the icon (e.g., I did
change that in order to specify a particular user profile of the few
profiles I have configured). This is all assuming GNOME 3, which is what I
run.

In order to find out the actual command line behind the icon (again, in
GNOME 3), simply follow these directions:

  Activities --> Applications --> System Tools --> Main Menu

Now, on the panel on the left-hand side select "Internet" and then, on
the right-hand side, scroll down until you find "Iceweasel Web Browser".
Select it and click on "Properties". That will show the actual command
being run when you launch the application using the icon. If I remember
correctly, it only addes "%u" at the end by default. That "%u" is not an
Iceweasel option, though. So, you won't find it if you run 'man iceweasel'
or check the documentation from the browser, most likely. It's a launcher
code for GNOME which, in this case, will open a single URL. Search for
"%u" in the following document:

https://people.gnome.org/~bmsmith/build/launchers.html

In conclusion, that unless you use specific options when launching the
browser from the terminal or your desktop environment or window manager
adds a different option to the launcher, it sounds to me as if this may be
a red herring.

--
Nitebirdz
http://www.sacredchaos.com/