Re: USB hub problem.

On Sun, 05 Jan 2014 22:31:14 -0000
atar <atar.yosef@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Thanks for replying!
>
> As per your question, the USB hub has not a jack for an external power
> supply since it is designed to receive all its power from the USB bus
> itself. moreover, the HDD itself is powered solely on the bus power.
> But I think you're likely to be correct since Microsoft Windows XP is
> also not able to mount the HDD when it is attached via the hub.
> apparently those devices need a hub with external power supply to
> provide them with their power consumption requirements.

You may also find that the length and/or quality of the cabling
matters. I have a small Samsung drive which came with a cable about 8cm
long, and it doesn't work reliably with longer cables.

It certainly doesn't work through a hub, but it is long enough ago that
I tried it that I can't remember the exact problem. I would have tried
it with an externally-powered hub, as the ports of an unpowered hub
often restrict the supply current to 100mA or so, a full-spec USB
port must be able to provide 500mA.

--
Joe