Re: New to Debian (Gentoo user) - package management

> In gentoo, I routinely perform pretend updates to see what updates are
> available, so a process like:
>
> eix-sync
> to synchronizes the local repo with the online one
>
> eix packagename
> shows all available versions of that package, and what repo they reside
> in (stable, testing, etc)
>
> emerge --pretend -vuDN world
> results in a list of all available updates, as well as any dependencies
> that would be installed, which I can then pick and choose from. I
> usually wait until newly available updates have been available for at
> least a few days before installing them, to avoid nasty surprises.

For regularly checking updates I use the cron-apt package, actually it
does almost the same as you wish. I configured it to check the updates
(apt-get update), download but not install the updated packages (apt-get
-d dist-upgrade). If there is packages to be updated it sends a mail
with the packagenames to be updated.

--
--- Friczy ---
'Death is not a bug, it's a feature'