Re: New to Debian (Gentoo user) - package management

Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@libertytrek.org> wrote:

> In gentoo, I routinely perform pretend updates to see what updates are
> available, so a process like:

Depending on which version of Debian you installed, you will rarely get
any updates at all. Wheezy (7.x) is stable and only get security updates
and major bug fixes via point releases about every two months:
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianReleases/PointReleases

Only Testing and Unstable receive daily updates.

If you use Testing or Unstable, I advise you to install the packages
apt-listchanges and apt-listbugs.

> eix-sync
> to synchronizes the local repo with the online one

apt-get update

> eix packagename
> shows all available versions of that package, and what repo they reside
> in (stable, testing, etc)

apt-cache show <packagename>

or

apt-cache policy <packagename>

> emerge --pretend -vuDN world
> results in a list of all available updates, as well as any dependencies
> that would be installed, which I can then pick and choose from. I
> usually wait until newly available updates have been available for at
> least a few days before installing them, to avoid nasty surprises.

apt-get -s dist-upgrade

If you want to upgrade only a subset of packages, just use

apt-get install <packagename> [<packagename> ...]

> Is there a decent manual describing basic maintenance tasks like this?

You may want to start reading at
https://wiki.debian.org/SystemAdministration

Grüße,
Sven.