Re: how to configure pulseaudio to use analog speaker on motherboard not hdmi on video card

On 01/01/14 05:57, Mitchell Laks wrote:
Ok here is the data.

I Did a fresh reboot of machine

mlaks@Rashi:~$ aplay -l
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: VT1708S Analog [VT1708S Analog]

<snip>

card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
--------------
Then tried to run a sound application (vlc ) no sound
------------------
then i killed the pulseaudio as in my first email
then now I just started vlc again
this time I can hear the lecture...

______________

mlaks@Rashi:~$ cat /etc/pulse/default.pa
#!/usr/bin/pulseaudio -nF
<snip>
### Make some devices default
#set-default-sink output
#set-default-source input

So, even just after reboot and as it would be expected, the two cards are listed by alsa, and yet, first time round PA doesn't find them both. When you restart PA, they are correctly identified and subsequently functional through PA. How odd.

I don't really know now: I'd probably try whether card0 is functional in alsa before you restart PA:

$ aplay -D front <sound-file.wav>

(there are some files under /usr/share/sounds/ )
AFAIK udev should have initiated loading the sound modules, and if the above aplay cmd doesn't work, I'd check

$ lsmod | grep snd

Are there any pulseaudio related messages in syslog?

$ grep -i pulse /var/log/syslog

And lastly, anything catching your eye in the output of (before and after PA restart):

$ pacmd dump

--
Klaus