Re: Wireless Controller Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG in a Dell Inspiron 9300

On Friday 06 December 2013 18:44:49 Brian wrote:
> On Fri 06 Dec 2013 at 11:21:45 +0000, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> > I am having trouble with a Wireless Controller Intel PRO/Wireless
> > 2200BG in a Dell Inspiron 9300 running a freshly installed
> > Wheezy. It is not successfully creating a wireless connection.
> > lsmod reveals that the module ipw2200 is there.
>
> If you are set on solving this problem in the context of using wicd

I'm not!!  It's what the box's owner is used to, that's all.  And has
never let me down before.

> I'm reluctant to push you in the another direction. wicd uses
> wpasupplicant; so why not cut out the middleman and access it
> directly in /e/n/i?

Great!  /e/n/i is still set to what installed, and has not even got an
entry for the wired connection, which none-the-less connects fine.
I don't actually know what needs to be there for a laptop,
particularly given that it has to be able to rove, soi I can't put in
any of the specifuics of my LAN.

> > I use an access list for wireless appliances on my router, and
> > the correct MAC code for the laptop in question is there.  (I
> > just checked!)  Ifconfig -a finds the card.
>
> Whatever use this is I'd remove it as a factor to take into
> account.

I have known things not connect because I have forgotten to enter
them - but they usually manage to give a bit more of a semblance of
trying. ;-)

> > I have googled, with a singular lack of success.  I have
> > installled a backported kernel.  Nada.  Though, of course, with
> > this card one might expect an older kernel to be what is needed.
> > Would it be a good idea to find and install an _old_ kernel?
>
> Everything at the Debian wiki indicates the 2200BGA is a supported
> chip.

It is.  It was working without a hitch in Squeeze.

Thanks,
Lisi