Re: Unable to change shell and add groups

Apologies if some of this seems obvious to you, but figured I'd check
anyway.

On 12/06/2013 05:16 AM, shawn wilson wrote:
> $ chsh -s /bin/zsh ag4ve
> Password:
> $ grep ag4ve /etc/passwd
> ag4ve:x:1008:1008::/home/ag4ve:/bin/zsh

Just checking: You did logout then back in at this point, right? If not,
then what follows is expected as your current session would still use
the "old" environment.

> $ echo $SHELL
> /bin/bash
> $ readlink /proc/$$/exe
> /bin/bash
> $ cat /etc/debian_version
> 6.0.8
> $ grep zsh /etc/shells
> /bin/zsh
> /usr/bin/zsh

Another question: Are you sure you've actually logged out, and not
reconnecting to long running sessions via screen/tux/whatever? If this
is a desktop with GUI, make sure you're logging out and not just
suspending/sleeping/hibernating.

Something else to try (if you have physical access to the system) is
switching to another virtual console after making the change, and
logging into there and see what you get.

What happens when you type "exit" when you login after making the
change?  If something is starting a bash shell after you login (as Scott
suggested), "exit" should quit that and leave you running in the parent
zsh shell.  Otherwise it should log you out. At least this way we could
narrow down where the problem is happening.

-PaulNM