Re: Setting up wordpress on wheezy using the debian packages?

On 06/12/13 13:30, Rick Thomas wrote:

> Thanks to all who replied.  I got lots of useful suggestions.
>
> The one that finally got me off the ground is this one…  Somehow I
> missed it in all my googling.

:)
It didn't exist when you did your Googling. I wrote it *after* reading
your post.

> https://wiki.debian.org/WordPress
>
> By *carefully* following *all* the instructions there, I was able to
> get a functioning WordPress v3.6.1 (latest available in the Debian
> Wheezy archives).  I believe this will do the job for the time
> being.

When I get some time I'll try and update the wiki to include
instructions for installing WordPress for individual users
(apache2-suexec-custom), and using Nginx instead of Apache (you'll note
that the WordPress package doesn't automagically install Apache2, that's
why).

> There was some recent discussion on the mentors list about recruiting
> new folks to help with maintaining the Debian WordPress packages.  I
> presume we won't see any updates past 3.6.1 until that issue is
> resolved?

Yes, but it won't mean much, the existing package (see further down)
will still work fine, it'll just require you to update WordPress once
it's installed to be up-to-date with the latest stable upstream version.

3.6.1 is the version of WordPress *packaged* in the Debian WordPress
package you installed. It can/should be updated to the latest version of
WordPress (3.7.1) once installed (login to WordPress and look on the
WordPress Dashboard).

The most recently baked Debian WordPress package has just been released,
it includes v3.7.1[*1].  NOTE: *you* don't need it to upgrade to the
latest version of WordPress.

[*1]http://raphaelhertzog.com/2013/12/01/my-free-software-activities-in-november-2013/

> If there's anything I can do as a non-developer -- such as, perhaps,
> testing new releases on a quick-turnaround basis with non-x86
> architectures (I have PowerPC and ARM boxes that I can use for
> testing)

Contact Raphael, I'm sure he'd appreciate the offer, and, you don't need
to be a developer to package.

> Enjoy!
>
> Rick

Kind regards