Hearing Sound When Running Debian Live

I am amazed to discover how difficult it is to figure
out why programmatically causing a sound to be heard
when running a Debian Live XFCE distribution doesn't
produce actual sound.  I can invoke VLC via Application
-> Multimedia and hear a .wav as expected but trying
to cause that to happen using aplay, paplay, and vlc
from a bash script acts like sound is muted.

Further, it is unclear from the website how to report
usage issues of the .iso releases, which is why I'm
starting this thread here.
--
<not cent from sell>
May the LORD God bless you exceedingly abundantly!

"So the universe is not quite as you thought it was.
 You'd better rearrange your beliefs, then.
 Because you certainly can't rearrange the universe."
__--from_Nightfall_by_Asimov/Silverberg_________________