Re: Goodbye GNOME, Hello XFCE

On Thu, 05 Dec 2013, Stephen Powell wrote:

> Well, the latest update to Debian jessie did it.  GNOME 3 apparently
> no longer has a "fallback mode" for X drivers which don't support 3D
> acceleration.  Mine doesn't.  And the native GNOME 3 interface is
> apparently unusable with such an X driver.
>
> Goodbye, GNOME.  Hello, XFCE.  I hope Debian will make XFCE the
> default desktop for the production jessie installer.

You could do what I did with my install of Wheezy 64-bit (Replacing
Fedora 12): Abandon the desktop "environment" entirely, and just use a
full-featured window manager and a few utilities.  I found Openbox with
LXPanel works just fine.  Lower overhead, too.  Just do a Base net
install, and add one thing at a time.