Re: Getting apt-cdrom to work

On 12/4/13, Brian Sammon <debian-users-list@brisammon.fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Nov 2013 21:56:37 -0500
> Brian Sammon <debian-users-list@brisammon.fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to get apt to install packages from a Debian 7.0.0 CD (just
>> disc 1) I made a while ago.
>
> So, it turns out that was apt was looking in varying places for the CD mount
> point.  Sometimes it was looking in /media/apt, and sometimes it was looking
> in /media/cdrom .  If the CD wasn't mounted when I did the apt-get, it would
> get mounted on /media/apt.
>
> running apt with
>    -o Debug::Acquire::cdrom="true"
> caused it to tell me where it was looking for the CD-ROM.

That looks useful - my thought is that it's the kind of thing should
be enabled by default, eg with -v option or somesuch.

> I made /media/cdrom be a symlink to /media/apt and the problem went away.
> This is probably not the best solution, but I only needed it to work for a
> day.

Glad you found a solution.

Remember you can also use
dpkg -i filename.deb
to manually install a package, but you have to manually resolve
dependencies yourself (view "depends" of the package, then install
those first, recursively checking depends on the dependencies ...