Re: A rookie's query: Want to about Debian and the related

On Mon, Dec 02, 2013 at 11:51:41AM -0600, yaro@marupa.net wrote:

          .........snip.........

> Oh, that does clear it up. But again, I don't see that as a "free vs. nonfree"
> issue. Most software will choose defaults for you and you can change it, even
> Mozilla. I'm a KDE user, often a lot of KDE defaults I don't like or don't
> make sense, Kopete being perhaps the worst offender.
>
> I often don't care for software that requires user-side configuration to
> already be in place when run. By user-side I mean dotfiles in home directory. I
> do not really mind if I have to set something up in /etc, however, largely
> because I will most often be changing the defaults.

What's the difference between "setting something up" in /etc and editing
a dot file in your home directory?

> I prefer Google anyway, though, as I have yet to see a search engine that
> works nearly as well. I know a lot of people rave about Duck Duck Go, but
> every time I use it it loves to bring up results in an order that doesn't hit
> the same sort of relevance as Google. But Google using my search for
> advertising doesn't bother me.

Neither, evidently, does it's personal data collection.

--
Bob Holtzman
Your mail is being read by tight lipped