Re: A rookie's query: Want to about Debian and the related

On Monday, December 02, 2013 05:46:04 PM Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-12-02 at 20:52 +0530, AP wrote:
> > But still you say it good and the fact that many people use
> > it, makes me a trust for it
>
> Perhaps more people use Outlook Express ;)? Seriously, Thunderbird might
> even be more used as Outlook Express on Windows, but this means, that
> it's an interesting target for attacks.

A better way to put that is this.

Popularity doen't necessarily translate to quality, however, popularity almost
guarantees someone, somewhere, is looking at the code.

This paradigm only really makes sense when source code is readily available,
though, as we can't guarantee, say, a proprietary POP3 client written by a
now-defunct company will ever see fixes or changes again.

A wide install base of open source software pretty much assures us that there
will be someone taking care of the software even if they themselves are not
the upstream maintainer or developer. Open source is gaining ground as a model
largely for this reason: You can spend more time and money trying to get a
company to fix their proprietary solution for your organization, or you can
have someone do it in-house at far less cost (Beyond costs associated with
employing a developer to maintain your organization's infrastructure.)

Personally, I use KMail. It's a lot less resource intensive than Thunderbird
(Called Icedove in Debian.), does the job well, and integrates with KDE SC,
including Plasma and Kontact. Thunderbird doesn't integrate well even in
"native" GTK+ environments.

Conrad