Fwd: Re: No Video

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: No Video
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2013 09:22:55 -0500
From: erosenberg@hygeiabiomedical.com
To: erosenberg@hygeiabiomedical.com, debian-user@lists.debian.org,
'Hudson Meneses Lacerda' <hfmlacerda@yahoo.com.br>

----- Original Message -----
From: Hudson Flavio Meneses Lacerda
Sent:Sun, 01 Dec 2013 20:58:40 -0200

erosenberg@hygeiabiomedical.com [1] wrote:

> [...]
It
 > generated a proper /etc/X11/xorg.conf [4] [3] .
 >
 > --
 > Hudson Lacerda
 > --
 >
 > Hudsoin -
 > I can't find the files to which you refer on the CD.Can [5] you
please
 > help further.TIA [6]
 > Ethan

 Hi,

 My system is based on the Musix distribution, that is based on
Knoppix
 and Debian, and was updated to newer Debian releases. Currently, the
 default is not generating xorg.conf [7] (the system tries to detect
the
 video hardware at each boot), but that was not working in my laptop.
 Then I used some scripts from Musix/Knoppix to generate a valid
xorg.conf [8] . Be sure to have installed the Vesa modules for X
and/or the
 suitable X modules for your video hardware. You may try `Xorg
 -configure` to try to generate a /etc/X11/xorg.conf [9] file.

 Hudson

 --
 Hudson Lacerda
 --

Hudson --
 My video - the data on the DOS partition is essential to me.  It
is obvious that the FAT table has been corrupted, and therefore I do
not know where the DOS files are.  They may be in the Linux
partition.  That is why I cannot do an install on that disk.
I] I have an option, though I know it will be tedious:a] Mirror the
hard drive to 2 usb drives. Put one awayb] Install sid on another hard
drive.c] Mirror the sid drive to another usb drived] Have Debian Live
CD in the CD Drivee] On the sid drive create a user - ethan f] Boot
from the CD. g] Copy one directory tree from the USB drive to the sid
drive. h] Boot from the sid drive i] repeat g font-family:arial,
sans-serif;font-size:13px;"> j] when it fails, replace the directory
tree from the sid usb and copy one subdirectory from the usb drive
untill it fails.  k] fix the bad subdirectory l] repeat i, j and k
until the usb drive has been totally copied.
I know it will be long and tedious, but, hopefully it will work.
It could be that I should not have to copy everything from the usb
drive.  In that case, what should I copy?
II] Where can I download [an iso?] of sid that I can use for
installation?
TIA
Ethan

Links: