Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Intel processor microcode security update

On Sat, 07 Sep 2013, shirish शिरीष wrote:
> I also read the README.gz and realized it's kinda pointless till Intel
> starts distributing some sort of errata and changelog information

They do distribute some information, but only to Intel hardware partners
which have access to microcode updates directly... and I don't work for one
:-)

It is also entirely possible that NDAs forbid even the hardware partners to
disclose information without asking Intel about it first.  Fortunately, some
server vendors leak enough information on their firmware update notices for
us to actually find out something is important (usually well after the
fact).

> I'm still reading the documentation but if somebody finds how to get
> the info. about pf mask bit please share the same with me.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/64-ia-32-architectures-software-developer-vol-3a-part-1-manual.html

Read section 9.11 of the above Intel document.

I've tried to explain about the pf mask (processor flags mask) in the README
file for iucode-tool, but the Intel manual above is the real documentation.

> Thank you Henrique for packaging and sharing the package as whatever I
> have shared is upstream issues and nothing to do with your packaging
> efforts.

Yeah, Intel doesn't make it easy on us, the general public.  I actually
wrote iucode-tool to give me _some_ insight, I hate flying blind...

  Henrique Holschuh