Re: dhclient "No DHCPOFFERS received"

On Wed, Aug 07, 2013 at 02:57:58PM +0000, Andy Hawkins wrote:
> Sean Alexandre<sean@alexan.org> wrote:
> > I've got two Debian Wheezy machines. One can connect to my cable modem fine,
> > and gets an IP address. The other can't. They're both configured the same. Any
> > ideas why this might be?
>
> Apologies for suggesting something obvious you might already have thought
> of, but I seem to recall my Cable provider's modem will only provide DHCP
> addresses to a single MAC unless it's been correctly release (or perhaps the
> Cable Modem re-powered).
>
> Could it be as simple as that?

No, unfortunately. I know it's not a MAC address issue. Both my TP-LINK home
router and the Debian Wheezy machine that works get DHCP leases without any
problems, and have different MAC addresses.

I also asked my ISP about this, when I had them on the line to bring up my
new cable modem. They said any MAC address is fine. Just power the cable
modem down for 30 seconds first.