Should I build a nmu for stable or a backport for wheezy-backports?

Hello list,

let's say there is a bug in a stable package and that bug breaks the
program functionality. Later the fix was uploaded to unstable/testing
but never got in time for stable. For reference I'm talking about
http://bugs.debian.org/679657.

I tried 2 ways to solve this:

a) I've downloaded the stable version of the package, applied the
patch that fixed the problem and built a wheezy-backports package;

b) I've downloaded the maintainers git repository (unstable), revert
some commits and build a wheezy-backports;

Backports exists for recent packages from unstable/testing that were
adapted and rebuilt for stable. What I did in a) is not that: I have
rebuilt a stable package and applied a patch.

If a) is not a backport is it a nmu then? Should I build a) as a
stable nmu and try to search for a sponsor to upload it to stable? Can
this be done?

Or, to have a valid backport of the package, I MUST make b), which is
to backport the testing/unstable package?

What I'd like is to have the stable version of the package fixed in
debian stable, where it is not working, not to have an upgraded
package from backports.

I hope this email is not to confusing as my doubts :) I'd like to have
my doubts cleared because there is at least one more package
(avelsieve) I'd like to upload, via nmu or backports, depending on the
answers to my doubts.

Thanks