Re: Mysterious hangs since upgrading to Wheezy

Hi David!

Am Sonntag, 4. August 2013, 08:31:21 schrieb David Guntner:
[…]
> Since I upgraded from Squeeze to Wheezy yesterday, I've noticed periodic
> hangs, where the system seems to just be *seriously* loaded down.  It
> happened again this morning - it was so bad I was just about to press
> the reset button to force a reboot because I thought the machine itself
> was hung.
[…]
> Now, on my main desktop, I keep two windows always open, one running top
> and the other tailing the syslog.  Top was showing a load in excess of
> 5.00 (which I think is a bit excessive...) and was gradually going down.
>  The only thing of possible note that I could see in they syslog was
> that dbus (I don't remember seeing those messages in squeeze, so I'm
> guessing this is new and I'm wondering if it's something I actually
> need, but that's a different story :-) ) had just activated a service
> called org.freedesktop.PackageKit using service helper, and about 20
> seconds after that was two messages saying that rsyslogd had been HUPed
> (this is not during the time when logrotate runs, so I'm pretty sure it
> wasn't logrotate that HUPed it).

I suggest using

atop -r atop-raw-file -b 12:00 -e 13:00

as well as

atopsar

       -O   Report about top-3 processes consuming most processor capacity.

       -G   Report about top-3 processes consuming most resident memory.

       -D   Report about top-3 processes issueing most disk transfers.

       -N   Report about top-3 processes issueing most IPv4/IPv6 socket
transfers.

To find out which processes are bogging down the system.

Ciao,