new install - not booting

Hi Folks,

Just did a new install of Wheezy on a server, but having problems trying to boot.

Basic setup:
- PXEboot into installer
- a pretty standard install
- had to fiddle a little at the end to get the MBR into the right places (RAIDed disks, USB stick mounts as /dev/sda)
- now it boots, but ends up at a grub prompt on the (remote) console
- attempt a boot and get the error "no kernel loaded"

Diagnostics
- restarted the installer in rescue mode, executed a shell in the newly built root directory
- mounted everything
- looked in /boot and all I could find is /boot/grub - no vmlinuz, no config, ... nothing

Note that this is my first Wheezy install, and I understand the installer and boot process have changed - but can't figure out how.

This has to be something stupid on my part, but what am I missing here?

Thanks very much,

Miles Fidelman