Re: Switching to 64 bit

On 06/27/2013 10:56 PM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
On 6/27/2013 7:11 PM, Frank McCormick wrote:
I am running 32 bit Sid and am thinking about a new computer which
has a 64 bit Intel CPU. How much of a hassle will it be switching
my installation over ? I know there are some problems with Flash but
what about the kernel and so forth- I am not a newby but this is the
first time I've considered a a major change.

You don't have to change anything.  32 bit Sid will run just fine on an
x86-64 CPU.  Switching to 64 bit software is a choice, not a requirement.

   Well , that was quite the debate :)

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions - for now I will run regular 32-bit Sid..realizing I am wasting the opportunity to utilize
more memory and perhaps faster operations.

Later I will re-install ( I am a little worried about the convoluted
magical tricks which have to be performed to switch-over the system to 64 bit)...but I will preserve /home and perhaps one other directory.

Again thanks to all for their contributions. I now know more
than I ever did (which wasn't much) about 32 vs 64 bit :)

--
Cheers
Frank