Re: Graphic card advice

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Mon, 2013-06-24 at 19:02 -0700, Patrick Bartek wrote:

> > > I switched from the Atari ST to Linux 10 years ago, but I've got a
> > > 80286 hardware emulator mounted inside my 520ST and 4 MB PC RAM
> > > replaced the 512 KB, however, I also run DR DOS on that machine
> > > and used a lot of 98SE and XP in my life. So I'm also not a native
> > > Microsoft user, but I guess everybody of us had to use DOS or
> > > Windows sometimes? At school, at work?
> >
> > The Atari ST.  Remember that one.  It was on my short list when I
> > was looking for a personal computer to replace my fried Commodore
> > 64. But I chose the Amiga instead. All my reading indicated it had
> > more potential as a personal computer.  Too bad Commodore never
> > realized that, and drove it into the ground.
>
> I was a musician and audio and video engineer, so I started with the
> C64 too and then needed to switch to the Atari ST. Atari continued
> when Commodore already stopped. The TT and Falcon were much used,
> especially the QL community used those computers with the emulator
> distributed by Jochen Merz.

Once I went with the Amiga, I never much kept up with the Atari.
Although I knew quite a few pro musicians, videographers and 3-D
animators who preferred the Amiga over the Atari.  Newtek's Lightwave,
Video Toaster and Video Flyer certainly revolutionized the professional
video market in a big way. No where else could the small independent
video production company get set up for nonlinear editing for $4000
instead of the quarter of a million for a dedicated broadcast editing
machine?