Re: Separate partitions for filesystems (was Re: computer rendered un-usable)

On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 06:49:57PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-06-24 at 18:09 +0200, Jochen Spieker wrote:
> > David Guntner:
> > >
> > > As you can see, I'm a BIG believer in separation of filesystems. <grin>
> >
> > Judging from your usage of "df -k" (instead of -g or -h) and the number
> > of filesystems, you should probably apply at IBM. :->
> >
> > Seriously, you should really look into LVM. It provides way more
> > flexibility than DOS partitions for setups like yours.
>
> I dislike LVM, IMO it makes handling much more complicated and doesn't
> provide real advantages.

Au contraire, it provides many. It wouldn't be recommended if it wasn't
any good. Personal likes/dislikes aren't really vaild reasoning points
and can send the wrong message to newcomers. Of course, if it is backed
up by valid technical points then that is another issue entirely.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X