Re: computer rendered un-usable

On Mon, 24 Jun 2013 10:59:46 +0200, Chris Bannister <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:
On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 07:46:11AM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
On Sat, 2013-06-22 at 22:56 -0400, Doug wrote:
> /  and /home  and /swap.

It usually makes no sense to have it on separated partitions.

Not sure what you mean here, but having /home on a separate partition
makes a lot of sense. And of course, swap is usually on its own
partition.

Yes, for the swap I agree, regarding to /home there aren't real advantages on a home PC, when disk space was expensive it had a disadvantage, since the user had to take care how to allocate the disk space.

Mounting / as r only isn't really needed, if you install a new Linux and you want to keep /home, havnig it not separated from / isn't really a disadvantage.

What advantages should there be? Why not directly go the completely obsolete root and have a partition for /boot, /tmp, /var? Yes, it makes sense for some machines, but please explain the benefits for most, averaged home PCs.

We audio production folks for sure have reasons not only to use a separated partition, but a completely separated second or third hard disk. Would you recommend to do the same for people who don't do audio productions, just for media player usage?

Regards,
Ralf