Re: From Squeeze to Wheezy: An upgrade problem

On Fri, 2013-06-21 at 21:02 +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Vi, 21 iun 13, 16:52:49, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > On Fri, 2013-06-21 at 17:02 +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > >     aptitude install $(cat non-Debian.pkgs)
> >
> > So the OP will keep some packages as they are, without updating?
>
> Package names don't change too often between releases, only versions do.

Good thought, but it wasn't what I was thinking about. My guess was
regarding to self build packages, that aren't available by any
repository. Some might still work, if the OP would keep them, but others
might miss needed dependencies.

I agree that package names usually don't change that often, resp. for
the distro I prefer at the moment, there are relatively often changes
for the package names, so it's not completely unusual.

Upstream might switch from one lib to another, the names are still the
same, but a package might not need lib A anymore, but does need lib B
nowadays. And for sure, a package perhaps need version = X and a new
version is > X.

Regards,
Ralf