Re: RedHat and MariaDB

On 6/16/2013 10:27 AM, Nate Bargmann wrote:
* On 2013 16 Jun 07:59 -0500, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
Yes, this is a "consumers" mailing list.  And if "consumers" can't
pass along what they want for the future, Debian will quickly lose
users to distros which do listen.

Debian does listen since its developers are its users as well.  You may
get more traction on the developers' mailing list with a respectful
tone as few of the Debain Developers are subscribed here.

What makes you think I've been kicked off the developers' mailing list? And what is "not respectful" about my tone?

For your information, I've never been kicked off any list. But I have seen others told to basically "get lost" on the debian developers' list. And no, I wouldn't say they were disrespectful.

I think this discussion is quite appropriate for "consumers" to have
on a "consumers" mailing list.  Especially since they will quickly
get chased off the developers mailing lists for asking such a
question.

Actually, what sparked this subthread is something that Debian has very
little control over--what upstream package developers choose for their
depedencies.  The upstream developers are who you must convince to use
DB "M1", "M2" "P", "S" or whatever.  But remember this, just like GUI
toolkits offer differing functionality, so do database engines and
developers choose accordingly.  The complaint against Debian in this
case is quite misplaced, IMHO, as the only leverage Debian has against
certain dependencies is the DFSG.

No, Debian cannot control upstream developers. But Debian DOES control which packages are added. And while they can't control upstream - they can influence upstream, if it's done respectfully.

All that said, I am also annoyed by some package (CQRlog) that uses
MySQL and starts a private instance of the server that lasts until the
program is shut down but yet I get a full-blown MySQL installation with
a server running that I'll never use.  But once the SysV init link is
changed from S to K it's no longer a problem.  At least that control is
available.

- Nate

Yes, that can be annoying.