Re: wifi disappeared completely last night on a Debina Jessie laptop.

On Mon, 10 Jun 2013 17:05:52 +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Jun 2013 09:59:35 +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
>
>> On Lu, 10 iun 13, 04:04:41, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>>>
>>> I think -- maybe I should ask it to shut down wifi altogether (using
>>> the network manager's menu, and then ask it to turn it on again.
>>> Maybe then it will rescan.
>>
>> Yes, it will.
>>
>>> But instead, after turning it off, the item has vanished from the
>>> menu,
>>> and I can find no way to get it back.
>>
>> What item from which menu? I'm assuming you mean the "Enable Wi-Fi"
>> item in the nm-applet right-click menu.
>
> Yes, that was the item.  It should not disappear.

Well, I've got it using wifi again yesterday, but now I need to know what
the right way to get it to rescan for access points.

The wifi hub has once more failed and been restarted, and the laptop
seems to have given up on it.  '4133' is not in the list of accessible
SSIDs, and even though 4133 is up again (other devices have no trouble
reaching it), my laptop does not rescan.

I seem to remember a time when it would constantly rescan in case
something changed (but maybe I have mixed it up with another system).

I'm understandably leery of disabling wifi and renabling it, given the
disappearance of the menu item.

-- hendrik