wheezy comes with synaptic, why?

Hi!

I just installed Wheezy using the netinst non-free image. I used the
proposed package-collections. (desktop, print-server, ssh-server, base -
if i remember correctly)

After first login I noticed that there is synaptic installed in addition
to Debians own packaging tools. If you check the repository settings of
synaptic you'll notice that they are not consistent with the content of
sources.list. I suspect this may lead to problems in some cases.

Another small issue: The "Updates" tab of the synaptic settings says:
"Notify me of a new Ubuntu version: [always, LTS, never]"

Is there any special reason why standard installation puts two tools for
the same purpose on my system?

kind regards,
Matthias