Re: Unusual behavior

On Sat, 08 Jun 2013 15:25:31 -0400
Verde Denim <tdldev@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been running Wheezy for a few months now and lately (seemingly at
> random times) I get a dialog popping up telling me that
> "Authentication is required to update packages". When I view the
> details in the dialog, it shows the Action as -
> org.freedesktop.packagekit.system-update .  The vendor is listed as
> "The PackageKit Project" which has an URL of
> http://www.packagekit.org/
>
> I don't recall explicitly installing this and was wondering if it is
> now a part of the distro. Thanks for the input.

Packagekit is not installed here, but if you look it up in aptitude and
have a look at the packages that depend on it you may be able to see
why it is installed.

Looking at the depends I see that gnome-core depends on it so if your
desktop is gnome that might be why although I haven't used gnome
myself for some time so I can't say for sure.