Re: Scanning in Wheezy.

On Thu, Jun 06, 2013 at 06:20:30PM -0700, peasthope@shaw.ca wrote:
> Dang; I'm beginning to regret replacing Squeeze.
>
> Since grading, the old HP ScanJet IIcx doesn't work.
> Wheezy doesn't have quiteinsane and the old plugin from
> Squeeze is no immediate help.
> http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=quiteinsane
>
> Is anyone using a scanner in Wheezy?  Any ideas?

I had a similar problem with my IIc. It had to do with the sg module,
but I can't remember if it was that the module wasn't installed or
merely not loaded.  Try "sudo modprobe sg" and then reconnect the
scanner to see if it is recognized. As a warning: even after I got it
installed, it never worked that well. I had run both Xsane and Simple
Scan because invariably one would refuse to work. When it did work, I
had to fix every scan in Gimp because the levels were way off. No amount
of calibration would stick. Eventually my printer died, and the cheapest
replacement I could find also had a scanner. That worked flawlessly,
so I ditched the IIc.
--
John