Re: Sound But No CD Sound

On 06/05/2013 12:46 PM, Thomas H. George wrote:
On Wed, Jun 05, 2013 at 02:50:09AM -0500, Kent West wrote:
On 6/5/13 2:18 AM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
On Ma, 04 iun 13, 09:15:35, Thomas H. George wrote:
My system is Wheezy.
ogg123 plays ogg files perfectly with sound.
workbone plays the cd but there is no sound.
cdir lists the tracks on the cd.
This may be obvious to you, but... the CD usually has a dedicated
channel. Did you check the volume level and mute/unmute?

Kind regards,
Andrie
My memory is hazy, but I vaguely recall that CD drives used to also have
a dedicated audio cable that plugged into the motherboard. Without that
cable, there would be no audio, I think.

I put this box together years ago and there is such a cable.  Moreover,
the system played CD's when I last tried to play one.  That was a couple
of months ago.  I did have trouble one time previously and resolved it.
The resolution as I recall involved choosing the right sound care, on
motherboard or Nvidia.  I have tried both and it is the Nvidia card that
works with ogg123.

Ah, I missed that detail, that it will play oggs.

Perhaps your missing the appropriate codecs?

I don't really know what I'm doing, but I recall having to download a codec package (from mplayer.com?) and unzip it in a certain directory.

--
Kent West<*)))><
http://kentwest.blogspot.com