Re: Debian/Linux tutorials.

On Thu, 06 Jun 2013 08:11:45 -0500
Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

> Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > On Jo, 06 iun 13, 14:11:21, atar wrote:
> >> Hi there!!
> >>
> >> I wanted to know please where can I enrich my knowledge about Linux
> >> at general and especially about Debian regarding variety of topics
> >> such as the system boot process, what are tty's? and where are
> >> located the scripts that the system runs during the boot and
> >> shutdown process, how to manage groups policies and how manage the
> >> whole system at all. where can I find some useful
> >> resources/documentation/references that speak in clear fashion,
> >> because the man pages often uses some concepts which aren't
> >> familiar to the beginner user, so I look for some resources that
> >> are friendly with the beginner user.
> >
> > http://www.debian.org/doc/
> >

> Speaking as a beginner myself, those are written by and for experts.
>
> I found out, during an engineering co-op assignment 40 years ago,
> just how difficult it is to write technical documentation aimed
> at someone with a different background. And it was only a ten
> page production line test procedure.

Hi, I'm going through the same process myself. For me, a good start was
the TDLP site. Specifically "Introduction to Linux" was a great start:
http://www.tldp.org/guides.html

And
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-tutorial/
although obsolete is still gives you a good grounding, I feel.

After that, you can try working into specific topics by searching on
youtube, google etc.

Good luck
Kailash