Re: Sid wants to remove lots of packages

On 05 Jun 2013, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > If I try to install any package I see a list of some 80 packages which
> > were automatically installed and are no longer required. The list
> > includes apt, grub-pc-bin, and grub2-common.
>
> That does not make sense.  Probably your package indexes are messed
> up.  Try running 'apt-get update' again and see if that resolves the
> problem.  If not then try a different mirror.  Somehow your list of
> what is essential has been blown up.
>
> > Obviously I'm not goint to remove all these; particulaly losing apt
> > would be a disaster. Anyone else seeing this behaviour?
>
> Not here.
>
> Bob

As I've said in another post, the problem has now resolved itself. I
still don't know why. It did come back after another refresh but there
had been seveeral previouly which didn't fix it. Another mystery ...

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
http://www.acupuncturecourse.org.uk