Re: Remplacement for zsafe on wheezy

Mérof 42 <merof42@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks you both, I'm going to test it.
> It seem to be better than zsafe, with more options.
> I just dislike qt library, but is a different story
>
> A question about keepassx, I saw it use AES 256bits to store password, is
> my password safe if somebody steal my laptop per example?
> Off course I plan to use a sufficient strong master password.
> I'm not really familiar with encryption, and I don't know witch encryption
> provide sufficient security.

According to the zsafe manpage[1], it uses the RC2 algorithm.  Using the
sophisticated method of looking at their wikipedia pages[2, 3], it would
seem that AES has received considerably more analysis by experts.  So,
it would seem that keepassx is safer than zsafe, as long as the
encryption algorithm is your only criteria.

I would count the apparent lack of upstream (broken upstream link in the
manpage) to be a negative for zsafe as well.

[1] http://manpages.debian.net/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=zsafe

[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RC2

[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Encryption_Standard

--