Re: Debian 7 USB Drive Won't Work

+1 to unetbootin!

I've been using it for long years with different flash drives, machines
(not many processor architectures though) and distributions and it never
even gave an error message. Configuration couldn't be easier on gnu
newbie.

Unless you want to get a better comprehension on the subject. Then I
would recommend debugging what you did. What did you do?
--- Begin Message ---
On Sun, 02 Jun 2013, JC wrote:

> I am hesitant to post to this list because perusing some of the
> entries show that the answers are technical way over my head, but
> here we go.
>
> I have made a bootable USB stick(32G) with Debian 7 i386 using my
> Ubuntu 10.04 system on my laptop which has an Intel chip.   It
> appeared to work OK.
>
> However, when I try to boot from it, I get some errors.
>
> First error is "isolinux.bin missing or corrupt".  That file is in the
> isolinux folder on the USB drive.
>
> Then comes the copyright notice followed by the patent notice.
>
> Next it discovers the ethernet controller.
>  After that it thinks for a while and says "no boot filename
> received" then
>
> PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM
>
> And waits for me to CTRL-ALT-DEL.
>
> I have created 6 different USB drives from 6 different versions of
> linux and this is the firsst one that didn't work.

I use the UNetbootin utility.  Runs on any host--Windows, OSX or
Linux--and creates a bootable USB stick of any Linux distro.  It has
NEVER failed me.  Plus, it doesn't format the USB stick.  It stays
FAT32.  So, if you want you can store other files on the unused space.
Pretty slick.