Re: boot fails on wheezy (SOLVED

On 06/04/2013 02:29 PM, Pierre Frenkiel wrote:
On Mon, 4 Jun 2013, Pierre Frenkiel wrote:

After a problem with a ligthscribe dvd, I had to reboot my PC,
 . . .
  At last I found the explanation, which seems rather incredible:

  In my BIOS settings, the boot sequence has been modified,
  the 1st internal disc (ST3250410AS) being replaced by the
  2nd one  (ST3750640AS0  !!!

  That looks really incredible.
  Can anybody explain how can this happen ?

best regards,

The allocation of disk numbering (sda, sdb...or (hd0, hd1...) is done by bios and the OS will use whatever the bios determine.
Also this numbering is not consistent with each reboot.

We should always set "master" and "slave" for jumper wires or use correct primary or secondary cabling (but if you have 1 master and 2 slaves, the slaves will continue to be changeable).

And...use grub2. Grub-legacy 'calls out' partition using (hdx,y) or sdxy whereas grub2 'searches' using UUID.

fstab had changed to UUID from sdxy years ago to overcome problems like this.

Cheers
--
When you cease to seek happiness, you will find it.