Re: nvidia-settings read only

I noticed I get fan settings if I add a Coolbits option under my xorg.conf for the device since asking my question. I can not find a list of various coolbits anywhere with Google, but found on the ArchLinux a setting of "4" gives me manual fan speed control. When automatic since the latest update the fan doesn't go over 40% though. I will try the debian packages but I'll have to uninstall the current driver. I like to run the latest drivers so I really prefer to just install from nvidia's upstream binary blob installer.

On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 6:14 PM, Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
On Lu, 03 iun 13, 11:46:41, John Tate wrote:
> I am using a custom kernel on Wheezy and the proprietary nvidia kernel
> driver, I believe if I use the nvidia driver from apt-get it will not work
> with my card (correct me if I am wrong).

You just need to compile a module for your kernel.

> In nvidia-settings everything is read-only which is strange because I am
> running it as root. The fan does not run at full speed either, which is
> hazardous with games.

Have you tried running it as non-root?

Kind regards,
Andrei