Re: Using equivs to override task-desktop dependency on xserver-xorg-video-all

Dear Andrei, dear Regid,

Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Du, 02 iun 13, 03:45:05, Regid Ichira wrote:
> >     $ aptitude show task-desktop | grep -A1 Depends
> >     Depends: tasksel, xorg, xserver-xorg-video-all, xserver-xorg-input-all,
> >              desktop-base, menu
> > Is craeting an equivs xserver-xorg-video-all package feasible, and
> > most simple solution?
> No. Set the packages you want to keep as manually installed. In aptitude
> interactive mode you can press 'm' or '+' if you are already in the
> overview window.

That depends. If Regid wants to keep the rest of task-desktop except
for these particular drivers, and get appropriate upgrades if a new
version of Debian is released, then I would say that using equivs is
indeed the simplest solution.

Regid, could you comment on the goal you want to achieve with this?

[ Remark in case you didn’t notice: Purging xserver-xorg-video-all
  does not per se require removing all these packages. It’s just that
  it requires removing the task-desktop meta package, which in turn
  pulled in all the other packages (and marked them as automatically
  installed). APT then noticed that nothing required these automatic-
  ally installed packages any longer and offered to remove them to
  save space. ]

Best,

Claudius
--