Re: Changing to lvm from ext4

On 28/05/13 22:42, Thore wrote:
> What do you want to have?
> Your system in lvm or only a vg to create partitions?
> Am 28.05.2013 23:30, schrieb To Ro:
>> What would be the best course of action to switch my system to lvm?
>> This is what I have:
>>
>> Filesystem Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
>> rootfs 9.2G  8.3G  425M  96% /
>> udev 10M     0   10M   0% /dev
>> tmpfs 592M  756K  591M   1% /run
>> /dev/disk/by-uuid/b9a3a0e3-9f3b-401e-8f12-8d123e6e7f3b 9.2G  8.3G
>> 425M  96% /
>> tmpfs 5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
>> tmpfs 1.5G  536K  1.5G   1% /run/shm
>> /dev/sda7 29G  5.6G   22G  21% /home
>>
>> Plus
>>
>> mount -l
>> sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
>> proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
>> udev on /dev type devtmpfs
>> (rw,relatime,size=10240k,nr_inodes=755582,mode=755)
>> devpts on /dev/pts type devpts
>> (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
>> tmpfs on /run type tmpfs
>> (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,size=605680k,mode=755)
>> /dev/disk/by-uuid/b9a3a0e3-9f3b-401e-8f12-8d123e6e7f3b on / type ext4
>> (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro,user_xattr,barrier=1,data=ordered)
>> tmpfs on /run/lock type tmpfs
>> (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=5120k)
>> tmpfs on /run/shm type tmpfs
>> (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=1474720k)
>> /dev/sda7 on /home type ext4
>> (rw,relatime,user_xattr,barrier=1,data=ordered)
>> rpc_pipefs on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw,relatime)
>> binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc
>> (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
>> fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,relatime)
>>
>> And there is also 600 GB of adjacent disk space where /home used to
>> be from squeeze. I already made a tarball with these older /home and
>> saved it to an exterior device. I want to reuse this disk space, with
>> lvm, and migrate existing wheezy installation to it, occupying the
>> whole disk this time and bringing back most of the old data saved in
>> the tarball.
>>
>> Any comments on best way and steps to accomplish this?
>> Thanks.

I boot Windows + Ubuntu + Wheezy, using an encrypted LVM for Ubuntu,
shared partitions, swap and Wheezy.
Currently the only way I can do this is to install using VMware Player
to a .vmdk and configure for encrypted LVM.
Then I mount the .vmdk and copy the image over and rename some stuff
using a script, so if I make a mess I can change the script and restart
fromthe reference image.

I still have tomanagegrub.cfg by hand as Ubuntu and Debian try to
overwrite it when a new kernel comes along.

Also, you need a separate /boot partition, outside of LVM.

Regards,
Philip Ashmore