Re: Remove Evolution

On Sun, 26 May 2013 20:14:49 -0400
Stephen Allen <marathon.durandal@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 11:35:15PM +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > On Sb, 25 mai 13, 15:49:44, Stephen Allen wrote:
> > >
> > > You know your stuff. I've just never got the hang of using
> > > aptitude in interactive mode, even with most people considering
> > > that it's *easier*. Go figure. :)
> >
> > It's easier once you are comfortable with it. It does take some
> > learning. If you are familiar with mutt and vim it will be easier
> > though.
>
> I use aptitude from my shell, just not interactively. ;)

Here's a tip I discovered yesterday, after having yet another go at
making sense of the idiocies it was proposing. I use LibreOffice, for
example, but it wanted to install OpenOffice, some of a total of 125 new
packages I neither want nor need.

If you've never actually used aptitude interactively in anger, your New
Packages number may be large, possibly tens of thousands, and this
appears to be the source of its insanity. Go to the Action menu, and
Forget New Packages. Suddenly, my aptitude was sane and got on with the
job in hand, which was just as well as a new Synaptic had started
freezing X, and I really wasn't keen on fixing the current log-jam with
apt-get. This is sid, by the way, which is currently an interesting
place to be.

--
Joe