Re: Grub2 gives error :File not found and goes into rescue mode

Thank you  Klaus. /dev/sda is hd0 and is the permanent hard disk. It has the MBR on which I want to install
Grub. /dev/sdb is the removable hard disk.Its first partition is, as you say,  hd1,msdos1 on which grub2 is installed
under /boot/grub. After I boot into /dev/sdb1 with supergrub I run grub-instsll. I am not running any grub or grub rescue
Commands. Grub-install says installation finished. NO errors reported, the version of grub installed is 1..99 when my
system has grub 2.00-14. On booting, the order is cd, usb ( my removable harddisk is on usb, and then permanent hard disk. Maybe, as Goh says, supergrub is messing
up something, but I am mystified as to why even if there were an error, it is not overwritten by the latest grub-install.

Sebastian

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 4:14 AM, Klaus Doering <klaus.doering999@gmail.com> wrote:

On 23/05/13 00:45, Sebastian Canagaratna wrote:
I meant to say /dev/sda
> set root=(hd1,msdos1)

Is your removable hd still attached? IIRC grub counts discs from "0",
so your "hd1" would then refer to your second hd. Do you have grub
installed on the aptosid system? What's your BIOS  boot preference?
A mix-up like this could explain why when you reinstalled grub to
version 2.xx you still get reported back v 1.99 by bootinfoscript.

Klaus