Re: Libreoffice4 in wheezy? Several questions

On Du, 19 mai 13, 17:01:51, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:

> > Normally a package has to be in testing first and only then backported
> > (to ensure some testing). The package in backports has a special version
> > so that apt/dpkg always consider the package in testing to be newer
> > (even if the software itself is at the same version).
>
> Yes, this is , what I thought, too. But I learned, that this is not the case.
> In testing the libreoffice version is 3.5.4, whilst in wheezy-backports already
> is 4.0! IMO this is strange, as testing IMO should be higher and newer
> versions than in stable. But in real, libreoffice4 is in unstable(!), and from
> unstable ported to backports. I do not quite understand the policy in this
> behaviour, sorry. :)

In special cases the backports ftpmasters do accept packages before the
equivalent version in unstable has migrated to testing. My guess is that
in this particular case it is because libreoffice is such an important
package to backport and because the Maintainer has a good history of
providing quality packages.

Kind regards,
Andrei