Re: Re: Install from iso (no disc burn)

Hi Harry,

> Thank you for the input and your offer:
> Yes I am interested, and please do.

you may have seen my post in the other thread, I think I CC-ed you:

Brian wrote:

> [...] I do not consider loopback mode (the
> subject of the mail I replied to) to offer any advantage over this
> method or the one described above.

Well, I see a number of advantages, of course those may not apply to
everybody's use cases.

1. You are not restricted to devote the whole device, just to i.e. the
Debian installer. If you have, say (like me), an 8GB flash drive, you
can have, depending on the size, up to 10 different images to boot. For
example, I like to try out different distros and as part of my job as a
sysadmin, I need several installers ready to go. I can use one single
device for live systems and all kinds of stuff, comfortably selectable
from the grub menu.

2. You can have several partitions on your boot device, and do not need
to format or erase anything. For example, if you just have a USB hard
drive handy atm, using the dd or cat > /dev/sdb method, you would have
to backup all your stuff on that drive, need enough space on another hd
and so on.

3. Works with non-hybrid isos

Of course it may be confusing or hard for an inexperienced user to
manually mount stuff, but those would most likely use Ubuntu or a
derivative, where this works out of the box (at least in the desktop
edition)

Best,
Julian