RE: ssh login fails, access denied

Hello Jochen and Darac,

Solved, typo on my side.

>> When I use PuTTY to set up a ssh session to my server I get the login
>> prompt. I enter the login name root or the user.  It asks me for the
>> password and once I have given that I always get "access denied".
>
> Can you log in as a regular user? What about the option "PermitRootLogin" in /etc/ssh/sshd_config?

Like I wrote I can log on using the regular console both as the root user and as the regular user.
The PermitRootLogin does not seem to be present in the new default config. That is why I tried the regular user first. Both give the same result.

Darac, the /usr/bin/ directory has several ssh* files but sshd is not one of them. It is not Wheezy specific as I cannot find that file on my Lenny system either.

But.... I found the cause, I made a typo in the ip address and ended up on a different machine, that just had to happen a ssh interface as well. :-(

Bonno Bloksma