Re: installing from iso on partition to another partition, avoiding all access to usb

On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 8:11 PM, Dan Hitt <dan.hitt@gmail.com> wrote:
Instead, i want to devote a small partition to the project: i would
like to ideally place just an iso image on the partition, but i guess
it could be larger, but no more than a few G.  I would like to then
install from the iso partition to a different, larger partition, on
the same disk.  So the target would not be the whole disk, but just
part of it.  The nature of the iso partition wouldn't matter too much
to me (although it would be super cool if it could be an iso in a
filesystem of some partition with a real os on it).

(I hope I'm doing this right...this is one of the first times I've used a mailing list)

A few thoughts come to mind:
1. Use debootstrap to create a minimal debian install on a separate partition.  This way, it would also be rw (iso can only be ro).
2. I believe grub(2) has a way to boot from an iso file.  Here's some info on it (check comments for command line method): http://www.webupd8.org/2011/02/how-to-boot-iso-with-grub2-easy-way.html
3. "Burn" the iso to a partition like you would a usb stick, and update grub to boot from that partition.

I hope that helps!

--Matthew